Well, here I am. Working on our first family blog. I find myself sitting alone at the island in our kitchen, wondering if this blogging business will last, and if so, for how long. I set this account up long ago, and completely forgot I did so. The only reason I've pulled up blogging this time, is because I will be going on a fantastic adventure to Africa this coming Friday, and many people have asked if I blog. So, I said, "meh, why not?" And, here I am. All alone. :)
Since I was a little girl, and my father worked as a Fundraiser for World Vision in the '70s, I have yearned to go to Africa. I'm not sure which stirs me more, the people or the wildlife, the culture or the lifestyle. I find myself fascinated by the immense and intense difference of my life to theirs. I long to know what it is like to live simply. Not that the life of all Africans is simple by any means. Just as not all of Canadians lives are simple. More the idea of a less complicated life by "stuff" than ours is. I have longed too to see the faces up close of those who were staring out at me from the films my father played to draw people in through compassion for another human being who suffered. I was so deeply drawn into the world of those children with flies around their eyes, that I have since desperately wanted to go and comfort them.
Africa always seemed an impossibility. A place that requires money to go. How ironic that I should feel I have no money to go to a place where to those there, I am rich. Yes, I am rich! Rich in STUFF. I have so much stuff around me, I'm blinded by it to the reality I live.
Well, my reality calls - off to work !
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave us a comment or note of encouragement. We would love to hear from you. :)